Plant Protection and Orchard Head Researcher.
Originally from Kfar Monash but lives in Rehovot. He has an undergraduate degree in Horticulture and a Master's degree in Plant Protection from the Agriculture Faculty of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem. He also has a diploma in Public Service Management from the JDC Institute for Leadership and Governance.
At Shaham (Agricultural Extension Service of the Ministry of Agriculture) he is a Citrus Instructor in the following roles/capacities:
- Senior Referent – Citrus Pruning
- Chief of Extension Service for Disease and Weed Control in Citrus
- Chief of Extension Service for Integrated Pest Control in Citrus
- Professional/Scientific Director of Tzerifin farm plantations.
Avi joined the Southern Arava R&D in 2007.
His main areas of practice are:
- Fruit Ripening
- Yield and fruit size of the majhoul date
- Mechanical harvesting of medjhoul dates
- Date plant protection (small date moth, large date moth, black burn)
- R&D of early-variety pomegranates
- Improvement and selection of early variety red pomegranates with low sensitivity to light and heat stress
- Pomegranate Plant Protection (inventory of hazards in the Arava, R&D of integrated pest-control)
- Marula proliferation and selection of species for the Arava